Popgroup provides a means to make estimates of the current population and forecasts of the future population for national, sub-national and local areas, for the whole population of an area and for sub-populations including ethnic groups.
Users enter past information and their assumptions about the future for births and fertility, deaths and mortality, and migration into Excel data sheets. Information from population estimates can also be incorporated.
Popgroup uses a standard cohort component forecasting method to produce forecasts and provides results in Excel sheets with data extraction and chart routines available.
- Single years of age, males and females separately
- One or more groups, which can be of any type for example:
Districts in a county
Ethnic groups in a district
Sub-areas in a district
- Userís separate estimates of special populations can be incorporated
(students, armed forces etc)
- Integrates estimates and projections in one dataset
- Constraints of housing, employment or population can be used to control migration.
- Standard age-schedule of rates for each component is the only required dataset
- Flying pyramids show the dynamic evolution of a population
- Userís own area and group labels appear in all files and output
- Notes pages for documentation on every file
- Many options allow user to over-ride or adjust the standard with the userís data for:
Counts, and/or rates
Data for individual groups, and/or for the total of all groups
Age-sex detail, and/or data for the total of all persons
Data may be provided explicitly, or the model linearly interpolates between provided values
- Gross migration flows with one or two external areas eg. within and outside the UK
- Summary output measures of fertility, mortality, life expectancy and migration levels
- Security of results with cell and sheet protection
- Facilities to compare forecasts
- Dedicated report and chart generators in addition to full Excel facilities
- All input and output can be copied for use and re-formatting in the userís own documents
Download demonstration programs for POPGROUP